SECTION IV: USE REGULATIONS
See also Aquifer Protection District (Sect. IV L) Floodplain District (Sect. IVM), and River Protection District (IV P).
K: Common Driveways
- Permits- A special permit is required for construction and/or use of a common driveway. The Special Permit Granting Authority for all common driveways shall be the Planning Board.
- Limitations- No special permit shall be issued for a common driveway that proposes to provide access onto more than two lots. (ATM 5/03/93). A common driveway shall have, in all respects except the number of lots it provides access to, the same legal status as any other driveway. The Town of Huntington accepts no liability or maintenance responsibility.
- Prohibition- Each lot served by a common driveway shall have sufficient frontage on a public way or a way that has been approved as a subdivision road to satisfy the frontage requirements for the district in which it resides. All common driveway curb-cuts shall be subject to approval by the Selectboard under the General By-laws, Ch.40 and 40-A.
- Existing Common Driveways- Any common driveway in existence and use at the time of adoption of this amendment will not be subject to these conditions, except that no driveway may be considered as frontage to satisfy zoning dimensional requirements (MGL Ch.41, Sec.81N). Such pre-existing common driveways may not be changed unless such expansion, extension, or change is not substantially more detrimental to the neighborhood than the existing driveway, as determined by the Planning Board.
- Design and Construction Standards- The Planning Board may adopt regulations establishing design standards for common driveways. In the process of adopting such regulations, the Planning Board shall consult with the Selectboard. The maximum length of any common driveway shall not exceed 500 feet, unless in the opinion of the special permit granting authority, topography or other local conditions necessitate a greater length.