9.00 CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS
Sidewalks shall be constructed on one or both sides of any street in conformity with the street to which it connects, unless in the opinion of the Board such sidewalks are not necessary. If sidewalks are not contemplated, a statement to that effect should appear on the Definitive Plan. Where possible and practical, sidewalks shall be provided outside of the street right-of-way within an easement conveyed to the Town. Such sidewalk easement shall be continuous and shall follow the contour of the street, even though the street may be located in a cut or fill, which cut or fill shall be widened to accomodate it. Said easement shall be eight (8) feet wide with a four (4) foot wide wearing surface as described below; and shall connect with the street right-of-way line at various points as required by the Board.
The four (4) foot wide wearing surface shall be constructed of asphalt concrete, gravel or stone dust, as determined by the Board and to the following standards:
- Whatever the wearing surface material, the foundation shall be at least ten inches of approved gravel placed in two five inch layers and well compacted.
- When asphalt concrete is required, It shall be Class I Bituminous Concrete Pavement type I-l (Binder Course Mix) laid and rolled to a one and a half inch (1 1/2”) thickness and topped with a finished course of Class I Bituminous Concrete Pavement Type I-l (Top Course Mix) rolled to a 1 inch thickness.
- When the wearing surface is gravel, it shall be no coarser than one-half (1/2) inch laid to a depth of two (2) inches.
- When the wearing surface is stone dust, it shall be laid to a depth of two (2) inches.
- When the wearing surface is either gravel or stone dust, it shall be applied on top of filter fabric and finished by working an appropriate binder into the surface stone or dust, followed by rolling.